Sunday 8 August 2010

LARRY R.I.P.



I've been meaning to post some pics of Indian Larry's work for a while. He's probably my all-time chopper hero. No-one's done it quite like him, before or after- proper legend. I'm probably preaching to the converted here, but he was building stripped down 60s-style chops when every other fool was doing cold-sick billet garbage. First I saw of him was around 1996, he had an amazing flaked-out shovel masterpiece in 'Iron Horse' mag-remember that?- and it blew me away. Kinda makes you want to stop trying to design and build bikes, because you're not gonna top something like that. Larry sort of threw everything at his choppers, but they never looked too busy or laden with crap for the sake of it; he just had a great eye for detail and style. To say he was a hot rod great is an understatement, he's up there with Roth and Barris in terms of influence on the gearhead life. He did the write-up for that Horse feature, and was clearly an intelligent and articulate dude, too.

Gone but never forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment